You are invited to a formal event. How does your heart respond? Some women (and men) enjoy dressing up and socializing. Others feel quite the opposite.
The way you respond to certain lifestyle choices has a lot to say about which style of beauty (or attractive) you are. While your physical attributes are the major indicator of which of the six styles (your personal image identity or Img.ID) you are, your personal preferences are the confirmation. If your physical style does not fall in line with your personal preferences, then you likely have a secondary style or you are in the midst of a Beauty Battle.
A number of factors come into play when it comes to our personal preferences. The culture, economy and standards of our formative years are certainly strong influences on how we feel about certain lifestyle choices, especially if we have a compliant nature. It is natural to choose that which we are comfortable with, but sometimes we follow the examples set before us without even considering other options because it is all we know.
In my heart of hearts I love elegant atmospheres and creative opportunities, but until I understood that, all of my clothing, career and decorative choices were casual and laid back. I came alive when I learned I was Dramatic but it took me many years to find the delicate balance of my combination Img.ID because the Dramatic conflicts with the Natural in so many ways. “Casual elegance” may sound like an oxymoron to most, but it represents liberty to me because it defines my style perfectly. I am no longer a contradictive fool, I have found the confidence to enjoy excellence without being consumed by it.
If you are struggling to understand which style you are, I encourage you to explore your personal preferences. The questions below will help you get started. It may take some time and it may even be a bit frustrating, but I encourage you to put the effort in (or get some Image coaching) because understanding yourself is one of the greatest keys to unlocking the doors of insecurity and confusion.
The lifestyle choices you make are a big indicator of your Img.ID
What kind of lifestyle/career do you live, or desire to live?
- Administration / management /advising
- Home oriented / nature lover / coach
- Professional / business owner /fine arts
- Designer / decorator / photography
- Teacher / hostess / nurturing
- Sales & marketing / public relations / health care
What is generally your idea of a great evening out?
- symphony concert or Broadway musical
- barbecue with friends and movie or sports game
- theater production or art exhibit
- candlelight dinner for two at a romantic hotel
- candlelight dinner for two at home
- dinner out and dancing-socializing with friends
What type of dance lessons would you be interested in taking?
- Country line dancing
- Ballet and ballroom
- Jitterbug and Macarena
How would you handle the news from your husband that he was bringing his boss and wife home for dinner tonight?
- You would have preferred two weeks notice and you stress out because of too little time to prepare; you will give careful attention to all the details of an attractive presentation and prepare a “tried and true” recipe.
- You will take the news in stride; whatever is on hand you will prepare; paper plates and cups will be fine; buffet style from the kitchen counter or barbecue in the back yard.
- You also prefer advance notice but you will figure out how to make it a night to remember with a gourmet delight and a very striking table.
- You will kindly prepare your husband’s favorite dinner.
- You will make it an evening of experience with candlelight, music, potpourri and lace.
- You will greet them at the door and say, “I’ve made reservations at the greatest place for dinner; let’s go have fun!”
Which letter did you choose most above? click the Img.ID of that letter to learn more about that Image Identity, including What2Wear.
If you liked this article and would like to join my (occasional) email list, please click here and receive my FREE Wardrobe Weeding checklist ( a free PDF). Also, I’d love to connect with you on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Linked In, Goodreads